Entry Qualifications

Undergraduate Studies
  • Pre-university Qualifications
    In addition to qualifications like the A-levels, International Baccalaureate, STPM, UK universities will consider a range of other qualifications, including:

    • Canadian Pre University Programme (Ontario Grade 13 certificate)
    • Chinese Senior Middle III Exams
    • South/Western Australian Matriculation Programme
    • American Pre-Degree Programme

    Other qualifications may also be considered on a case to case basis and your MABECS consultant will be able to check the acceptability of your qualifications with UK universities.
  • Diploma/Advanced Diploma
    With a good diploma, achieved in two or three years study post SPM, you may well be able to enter the 2nd year of relevant degree courses- known as advanced standing or credit transfer.

    A good 3 year advanced/higher diploma can get you into the 2nd year of some charter universities and the final year of some statute universities.

    As a rule charter universities will not take you into the final year unless you followed a programme associated with that university (twinned or franchised programme).

    Also many charter universities require you to spend at least 2 years in residence before you can graduate.
  • Mature Students
    Students with several years of relevant work experience may be considered for entry to degree courses even though they do not have the necessary formal qualifications.

    Again, the statute universities will generally be more flexible in their approach to this type of application than the charter universities.

English Language Qualification Requirement
In all cases, universities will need to see proof of proficiency in English Language. The universities will assess your application, including qualifications pertaining to English Language proficiency.
PTE Academic

  • MABECS, in collaboration with Pearson, is a test centre for PTE Academic.
  • PTE Academic is a computer-based English language test which measures the core skills: listening, reading, speaking and writing. The test center at MABECS will test students who need to prove their level of academic English when applying to study at institutions abroad.
  • PTE Academic is accepted by many universities and colleges worldwide. Results are received typically within 5 working days.
For more information, please visit PTE Academic


MABECS is also a British Council IELTS authorised registration agent and will be able to assist you with registering for the IELTS at the British Council, should you need to do so.

Postgraduate Studies
In order to obtain a place on a postgraduate degree course at a UK University, you will normally need to hold a good honours degree (achieving a 2:1 award or above) with proof of proficiency in English.

Relevant work experience may also be taken into consideration.
  • Professional Qualifications
    Students with professional qualifications like ACCA, CIMA, CIM, etc can often gain direct entry onto Masters courses.
  • MBA Applications
    Most Universities will require the following criteria for their MBA programmes:

    • A good first degree
    • At least 3 years working experience (some MBA programmes require more years of work experience and may also require experience at managerial level)
    • Evidence of English Language proficiency
    • GMAT- for some MBA programmmes

    Some universities may accept a professional qualification instead of a degree.

    There are a limited number of universities that may consider applicants with less work experience. If you are a fresh graduate and/or do not have much work experience but would like to pursue a generalist Management type programme, then you could consider pursuing an MA or MSc in Management, for example (rather than the MBA, which is geared for candidates with more work experience).

    University courses in the United Kingdom normally commence in late September or early October each year. The application process is different for undergraduate and postgraduate studies.